Dar es Salaam City Council is popularly known as the “HARBOUR (HAEVEN) of PEACE”, the name being originated from the Arabic word “Bandar-ul-Salaam” which means in Swahili “Bandari ya Salama”.
Dar-es-Salaam was declared a Township in 1920 and in 1949 it was upgraded to a Municipality under the first appointed British Mayor Mr. Percy Everett.
When Tanganyika became independent in 1961, Dar-es-Salaam Municipality was elevated to a City status and continued to be the Headquarters of the then Independent Tanganyika and later the United Republic of Tanzania.
Dar-es Salaam remained a Capital City till 1970s when the Government announced the shift of Capital City to Dodoma and Dar-es-Salaam remaining a commercial City.
The City governing body is the City Council, which comprises of 26 Councilors, with a representation of 4 Councilors from each Municipal Council.
The Dar es Salaam City has a total surface area of 1,393 square kilometers, which is about 0.15% of the entire Tanzania Mainland’s area.
According to the 2012 population census, the City had a population of 4,364,541 of which 2,125,786 (48.7%) are males and 2,238,755 (51.3%) are females.
NEW VACANCIES AT DAR ES SALAAM CITY COUNCIL, JULY 2023
[better-ads type=”banner” banner=”2270″ campaign=”none” count=”2″ columns=”1″ orderby=”rand” order=”ASC” align=”center” show-caption=”0″ lazy-load=””][/better-ads]
The director of the city council is inviting applications from Tanzanians to fill new contract positions. READ FULL DETAILS THROUGH THE PDF DOCUMENT BELOW: